Job Function Educator
Experience Level Entry Level
Economic Security Corporation
Job Title: Safety Monitor
Division: Head Start
Reports to: Area Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Revision Date: July 6, 2017
Job Classification: Grade 3
The Safety Monitor helps ensure active supervision and safety of children attending the Head Start program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Helps supervise Head Start children and maintain a safe and healthy learning environment.
- Assists the teacher implementing group and individual activities.
- Assists the teacher in meeting the individual child’s needs; plays and interacts with the children during the day.
- Assists in the implementation of Conscious Discipline in the classroom environment.
- Completes paperwork as assigned by the teacher.
- Ensures that children are safely escorted between bus, playground and classroom.
- Helps observe and assess each child’s progress and specific needs.
- Helps maintain a portfolio on each child.
- Serves a Bus Monitor and fills in for the Bus Driver when necessary.
- Conducts safety and health checks.
- Works on career development plans to meet Federal mandate.
- Fills in wherever necessary to ensure active supervision is provided for children.
- Communicates effectively with staff to ensure component coordination.
- Assists in the generation and documentation of federal match.
- Works cooperatively with the teacher and other classroom staff.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, sill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Basic personal computer skills.
Handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSE, REGISTRATIONS
Must be able to obtain a valid Class “C” Commercial Driver’s License, have reliable transportation and meet Missouri automobile liability minimum requirements. Must complete at least 15 clock hours of childcare related training each year.
The physical demands described here are representative of those most met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee is required to do moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily abilities of a primarily administrative nature. The employee must have manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle a items, work with fingers, and perceive manual attributes of objects and materials. The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The working conditions are well-lighted and/or air-conditioned indoor office settings with adequate ventilation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $10.18 /hour
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Sarcoxie, MO (Preferred)
- Driver’s License with Missouri vehicle insurance (Required)
- Class C CDL or able to obtain one (Required)