Job Function Administration Support
Experience Level Management Level
Requisition Id: 507
Position Number: 0000404B
Job Location: Salem Forestry Office (SALEM6)
Closing Date: 07/19/2019
To learn more about the job, feel free to contact the hiring supervisor- Chad T Medlock at Chad.Medlock@mdc.mo.gov or at (573) 729-3182 x6441.
Carry out sound Forestry and Wildlife management activities on both public and private lands to promote sustainable fish, forests and wildlife.
- Assist with forest management activities on public and private land, including marking timber, administration of timber sales, and forest inventories.
- Perform assigned duties associated with wildlife management, including prescribed burning and old field management.
- Assist with chronic wasting disease sampling efforts.
- Assist with feral hog eradication efforts.
- Administer area maintenance contracts.
- Manage general supply, timber and fire suppression inventory, maintenance and administration.
- Oversee maintenance on assigned work areas, roads, public areas and equipment.
- Conduct wildfire detection, pre-suppression, and suppression duties.
- Educate the public on natural resource management objectives through surveys, site visits, etc.
- Assist with budget creation and compliance.
- Plan and organize work team activities, time sheets, and performance appraisals.
- Prepare and present productivity, inventory, and other reports.
- Administrative duties, such as rentals, bid management, activity reporting and invoice processing.
- Ensure mowing, lawn maintenance, debris removal and cleanliness in public areas.
- Ability to read a topographic map and use GPS systems.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least three (3) years of experience as a Forestry/Wildlife Worker.
- Must maintain a valid, current driver’s license and Commercial Driver’s License.
- Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License.
- Experience with prescribed burns, certification helpful.
- Ability to operate tools and equipment for land management.
- Ability to use office equipment, such as computer, calculator, camera, scanner and printer.
- Basic tree and plant identifcation and wildlife habitat knowledge.
- Frequently work in outdoor weather.
- Occasionally exposed to loud noises which may require the use of hearing protection.
- Move about grounds, both inside and outside of buildings.
- Operate a computer and other office productivity machinery.
- Frequently communicate and exchange accurate information.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more, and three-dimensional vision
- Regularly lift up to 5 pounds, correctly lift up to 50 pounds.
- Concentrated attention is required at all times.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Missouri Department of Conservation reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties, functions, and requirements.
Exemption Status/Special Notes
This position has been determined to be Nonexempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Employees must agree to accept compensatory time in lieu of cash payments in accordance with the Department’s Compensatory Time Off and Overtime Policy.
Smoking is Prohibited in all owned, rented, or leased Department of Conservation offices, buildings, and similar facilities in department aircraft and in vehicles.
The department of Conservation will only hire United States citizens and aliens authorized to work in the United States.
All new employees will be required to complete an “Employment Eligibility Verification” (Form I-9) and produce requested documentation after employment.
Candidates seeking initial employment or re-employment must submit to a drug screen following offer of employment.
All persons employed with the state of Missouri shall file all state income tax forms and pay all state income taxes owed.